Find Out 17 Amazing Health Benefits of Turmeric Root
Turmeric is available in stores in different forms like turmeric powder, supplements, extracts or the fresh root and they all are good ways to add in your daily regime, but try to get the organic turmeric for the best results. According to some studies, the best way to get its benefits is through the fresh root. Turmeric root looks very similar to ginger root but when you break it, it is very dark yellowish with a hint of orange from inside. You should be able to access fresh turmeric root in any Indian store or whole food store. If not, you can always ask them to order it for you. The best time to consume turmeric is in winter, for some reason, it is believed that you get double the benefits of turmeric when consumed in winters.
Here's the list of turmeric's benefits:
1. Fights Cancer: Turmeric is a very strong antioxidant which helps in getting rid of toxins and free radicals from the body thus reducing the occurrence of cancerous cells & can also prevent cancer.
2. Anti-inflammatory: Curcumin in turmeric is a bio-active substance, the most widely studied compound in turmeric is proven to have anti-inflammatory properties and fights with inflammation and also prevent inflammation.
3. Cure Diabetes: Studies have proven that curcumin in turmeric helps in improving the function of beta cells that produce insulin in pancreas thus help in balancing blood sugar level. Curcumin also protects against developing diabetes so if you are borderline diabetic, start taking turmeric, it might reverse your condition. But if turmeric is taken with strong diabetic medication, it can cause hypoglycemia. You should not take the high dose of turmeric with sugar reducing medication.
4. Promotes Weight Loss: Turmeric reduces fat mass, boost metabolism & enhance better digestion which helps with weight loss. Turmeric also detoxifies the liver which helps in boosting metabolism.
5. Increase Immunity: Curcumin boosts body's own antioxidant activity thus target any toxins, & infection with double power by fighting itself & also by boosting our body's immune system.
6. Lowers Bad Cholesterol: Recent studies have proved that turmeric help in lowering the bad cholesterol the "LDL" and also prevent its oxidation. When LDL get oxidized, it creates deposits in the walls of the blood vessels which is the major cause of heart problems.
7. Prevents The Risk of High Blood Pressure: Turmeric has anti-hypertensive properties which help in controlling the high blood pressure. Studies have proven that curcumin has the ability to relax blood vessels which reduce the resistance to blood flow thus lower blood pressure.
8. Support Heart Health: Curcumin's anti-inflammatory, anticarcinogenic and antioxidant properties support the cardiovascular system thus prevent heart diseases. Turmeric also helps in lowering bad cholesterol and high blood pressure which are very important for a healthy heart.
9. Improve Brain Function: Studies have shown that curcumin in turmeric can treat depression, anxiety, brain aging and even Alzheimer disease. Curcumin in turmeric is known as to reduce any inflammation and boost regeneration of brain stem cells & may help in the recovery of brain function.
10. Support Liver Health: Liver is one of the most important organs in our body, it detoxify our body from toxins & free radicals. Free radicals cause damage to our cells and tissues. The powerful antioxidant properties of turmeric help in getting rid of toxins & free radicals thus support in detoxification. Studies indicate that turmeric may reduce the free radicals damage also.
11. Support Respiratory System: Turmeric being a strong antioxidant protect lungs from toxins and pollution. It also helps the oxygen transfer from lungs to blood. In Ayurveda, turmeric with ghee has been used to cure cough and asthma for many years.
12. Support Uterine Health: Turmeric is a natural blood purifier. It regulates the menses. The analgesic properties of turmeric help with pain during periods. Turmeric's anti-inflammatory properties help with any inflammation inside the uterus and also prevent uterine tumors.
13. Clear Skin: The antibacterial, antifungal, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of turmeric helps in detoxifying the blood and skin thus gives you clear skin. External application of turmeric can heal swelling, infection, acne, and wounds. You can apply turmeric mask twice a week for an acne problem and get clear skin in no time.
14. Natural Detox: Curcumin is a strong antioxidant and it also boosts our own body's antioxidants which helps in detoxifying the body. Turmeric also helps in removing the stagnant blood while forming the new blood tissue.
15. Heal Wounds: The anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin helps in reducing any inflammation inside the body and heal the wound faster. Best way to heal deep wounds faster is by boiling turmeric in milk and drinking it once a day.
16. Cure Arthritis & Support Bone Health: Arthritis is the inflammation of joints which cause stiffness and pain. The anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin help in reducing the inflammation, stiffness, and pain in joints. If you consume turmeric regularly, it can also heal any old pains caused by deep injuries.
17. Delay Aging: Turmeric is one of the highest containing antioxidants in spices, helps in detoxifying the body from free radicals and toxins which destroy the elasticity and texture of our skin. The antioxidants also protect skin from UV rays which are one of the major causes of aging. Add turmeric to your diet and also use as a face mask in your skincare routine to get anti-aging benefits of turmeric.
Turmeric is considered very safe as a natural remedy for the above conditions but the overdose of turmeric can cause indigestion, diarrhea, and nausea like symptoms.
People with chronic problems should watch the turmeric dosage & always consult their doctor prior to trying it on the higher dosage.
People with gallstone problem, kidney problem must avoid turmeric in high dosage.
If you are taking the supplements, always go with the recommended dosage.
Try to use turmeric root itself for better results.
For turmeric face mask recipe, check my article "Find out 10 Face Masks To get Clear Skin".
To Learn more about Indian Spices, check my article "Discover The Countless Health Benefits Of These 8 Indian Spices".